What do you need to contribute to kde or to make a new icon set? Im my usecase the entrance was quite easy cause for make breeze-icons everything is prepared to contribute.
- You need an icon guideline (https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/IconDesign)
- You need an repository (https://github.com/NitruxSA/breeze-icon-theme/ AND https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=breeze-icons.git)
- You need an developer account (https://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Get_a_Contributor_Account or an github account)
- Find a mentor or an group where you can discuss something (https://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=285)
So everything is prepared, get start to contribute, no first make the setup
- When you configure your developer account for KDE you get an ~/.ssh folder and an .gitconfig and .gitexcludes file. I make a backup and stored it that I can setup my git environmental everywhere (virtual machine)
How I setup my icon developing environmental
- all my git clones are in the ~/git folder
- I setup the master git repository as icon set in system-settings therefore I linked the git clone to the icon set folder. as I don’t have to compile something it’s a good way for me to add something and test something without additional config.
sudo ln -s ~/git/breeze-icons/icons /usr/share/icons/breeze-kde
- Change the standard icon set for GTK applications in ~/.gtkrc-2.0
And here are the git commands I need
- download the breeze-icons from the kde repository or at the github repository.
git clone kde:breeze-icons git clone https://github.com/NitruxSA/breeze-icon-theme/
- Now it’s your job. do your edits check if everything work fine. If you are finished the discussion start. For new contributors the discussion can be at github or at reviewboard. For new contributors I would prefere github but it’s your choice. for reviewboard you need to upload the diff file from the repository.
git diff > file.diff
- when the diff works well and you get an positiv feedback push your stuff to the repository. Before you push you should look if your repository is up to date
- If I’m not sure that everything was ok I copy my changes and reset the repository after the reset I copy my change and than push it
git fetch origin git reset --hard origin/master
- than you can push your change with an usefull comment
git add -A git commit git push origin master
breeze-icons are part of frameworks so it will be shiped once a month.